The Official Message
The official message for
29 April 2022
This message is written as rockets hit residential buildings and people fight in the streets. It is probably too optimistic to hope that people on the 29th of April will be dancing in the streets celebrating peace. The situation demands from dancers to show solidarity to other dancers. Individuality and ‘do it alone’ people are out of fashion.
Many people are eager to help but they risk falling victims of scam. It is very difficult to distinguish between genuine and fake organizations, websites, people, news etc. You can trust only those you have known for many years, only those with a long history of a serious policy you agree with – certainly not those who promise to do now what they have never done before. The past is the best guarantee for the future.
CID will not act as intermediary. We advocate direct person-to-person communication, assistance and collaboration. This is what we propose:
– Go to the Global Dance Directory. Type keywords like: name of city, type of dance etc. Try various keywords.
– Find dance professionals and call them, or ask CID for their email address.
– Tell them you care, ask what they need
– Send what you can
– Maintain contact, give courage to overcome hardships, prepare cooperation after the crisis.
This is not the moment for romantic outbursts on the virtues of dance and nice-sounding but vague assertions. Dance, after being severely hit by the pandemic is now hit by armed conflict and the prospect of cold war on a global scale. It is the time for concrete action and tangible results, a time for getting together to advance united.
Prof. Dr. Alkis Raftis
President of the International Dance Council
CID, UNESCO, Paris
- The official message for Dance Day is sent to dance professionals in 200 countries. Translate the message to your language, post it online, send it to the media. Find guidelines for your own celebration as well as previous DD messages at www.DanceDay.CID-world.org
- Dance Day, every year on 29 April, established in 1982 and monitored by CID, aims at attracting attention to the art of dance. It is celebrated by millions of dancers around the globe. On that day dance professionals organize an event addressing an audience different from their usual one.
– The International Dance Council CID is the official organization for all forms of dance in all countries of the world.
– Its members are the most prominent federations, associations, schools, companies and individuals in more than 170 countries.
– CID was founded in 1973 within the UNESCO headquarters in Paris, where it is based.
– CID is official partner of UNESCO, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization.
International Dance Council CID Conseil International de la Danse
CID, UNESCO, FR-75732 Paris 15, France
Tel. +33 1 4568 4953 WhatsApp +33 6 1155 3111
www.facebook.com/DanceDayOfficial/ Instagram #CIDDanceDay