The Official Message
The official message for
29 April 2021
80 years ago, Europe around 1941: a great part of Europe is occupied, curfew is imposed, radio is forbidden, sometimes no electricity. Families stay long evening hours at home with nothing to do, under conditions leading to depression and nervous breakdown – they get desperate.
Grandparents come to the rescue – their memories go back to the time when people could produce their own enjoyment, when they did not depend on TV, on dining out, going to the cinema or attending events. They had active, not passive entertainment. Younger ones had lost the ability to take pleasure in relating stories, telling jokes, singing and dancing at home in good company.
The aged people became the soul of the party singing the old songs, dancing the dances and taking the whole family with them, plus the neighbors. This is how the half-forgotten songs and dances jumped one generation and survived, producing after the War a revival of folk dancing.
As dance professionals, think of your role in the present situation of pandemic, lockdown and curfew. People need you now and will need you after this crisis. You produce a vaccine against the virus of the soul: you know how to make people dance. You hear the call, answer it!
President of the International Dance Council
CID, UNESCO, Paris
- The official message for Dance Day is sent to dance professionals in 200 countries. Translate the message to your language, post it online, send it to the media. Find guidelines for your own celebration as well as previous DD messages at www.DanceDay.CID-world.org
- Dance Day, every year on 29 April, established in 1982 and coordinated by CID, aims at attracting attention to the art of dance. It is celebrated by millions of dancers around the globe. On that day dance professionals organize an activity addressing an audience different from their usual one.
– The International Dance Council CID is the official organization for all forms of dance in all countries of the world.
– Its members are the most prominent federations, associations, schools, companies and individuals in more than 170 countries.
– CID was founded in 1973 within the UNESCO headquarters in Paris, where it is based.
– CID is official partner of UNESCO, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization.
International Dance Council CID Conseil International de la Danse
CID c/o UNESCO, 1 rue Miollis, FR-75732 Paris 15, France
Tel. +33 1 4568 4953 WhatsApp +33 6 1155 3111