The Official Message
The official message for
29 April 2020
Before film and video, dance used to be “the evanescent art” – choreographies throughout history have disappeared while masterpieces of painting, sculpture, poetry, or theater remain for thousands of years. The widespread use of video has revolutionized the art of dance; its contribution is invaluable.
Dance Day 2020 is celebrated in cooperation with the International Council for Film, Television and Audiovisual Communication (CICT/ICFT), a partner of UNESCO just like CID. The general theme is “Youth-Dance-Video.” Choreographers and dance school directors are encouraged to produce a work executed by dancers under 18, record it on video and send it to be screened at UNESCO Headquarters in Paris.
This short choreographic piece should be inspired by values defended by UNESCO; for example: intercultural and interreligious dialogue; anti-doping; promoting shared history and memory for reconciliation; protect, promote, and transmit heritage; culture of peace, non-violence, and sustainable development; poverty, climate change, natural disasters, and social inequities.
You will find more values, such as equality, democracy, peace, and human values, at the portals of UNESCO and the United Nations. The challenge is how to portray such abstract notions through concerted movement on stage. The most important objective is for your young dancers to understand the importance of one or more of these values and to engage in expressing them.
On Dance Day the attention of the world is directed towards the art of dance. Video serves us immensely as a simple means for recording and disseminating our creative work. This year, dance and video will combine in celebrating the uplifting of humanity towards the noble goals set by its summit organizations.
President of the International Dance Council
CID, UNESCO, Paris
- The official message for Dance Day is sent to dance professionals in 200 countries. Translate the message to your language, post it online, send it to the media. Find guidelines for your own celebration as well as previous DD messages at www.DanceDay.CID-world.org
- Dance Day, every year on 29 April, established in 1982 and coordinated by CID, aims at attracting attention to the art of dance. It is celebrated by millions of dancers around the globe. On that day dance professionals organize an activity addressing an audience different from their usual one.
– The International Dance Council CID is the official organization for all forms of dance in all countries of the world.
– Its members are the most prominent federations, associations, schools, companies and individuals in more than 170 countries.
– CID was founded in 1973 within the UNESCO headquarters in Paris, where it is based.
– CID is official partner of UNESCO, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization.
International Dance Council CID Conseil International de la Danse
CID c/o UNESCO, 1 rue Miollis, FR-75732 Paris 15, France
Tel. +33 1 4568 4953 WhatsApp +33 6 1155 3111